Even Superman has a weakness. Your laptop is no exception. Heat is its “kryptonite.” An overheated laptop can wreak havoc destroying important components (such as the motherboard). Prolonged exposure can even cause health problems such as “Toasted Skin Syndrome” or infertility issues. To help keep your laptop as cool as Superman’s Fortress of Solitude, follow these simple tips:
- Use your laptop on a solid surface (such as a desk) whenever possible. Your laptop’s tiny rubber legs will give it a slight elevation permitting airflow. Soft surfaces (such as blankets or pillows) fill up the gap and do not allow air to reach the laptop fan.
- When solid surfaces are not an option, use a laptop cooling pad.
- Turn off your laptop completely before placing it in a bag or briefcase. If a laptop overheats in a case it may even damage its screen.
- Avoid running numerous applications at once. Liken this to having seven different projects due on the same exact day – you’d burn out! The same goes for your laptop, but instead of burning out, it will overheat.
- Keep all vents free of dusts and debris. A blocked vent will prevent your laptop fan from being able to expel heat.
- If your laptop feels hot, turn it off give it some time to cool down and breathe. Get it in an air conditioned room and power it down until it no longer feels warm to the touch.
- One final tip, if your laptop shuts off on its own it is trying to tell you something! It’s letting you know it needs a break from the marathon you’ve got it running. Don’t turn it back on right away. Give it a chance to cool down and grab some shade so it will finish the race strong for you!
Follow these guidelines to take care of your laptop and in
turn, it will work hard to help make YOU look like the superhero!
President at CRS Technology, an IT consulting firm in SWFL